Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The greatest adoption story ever told

I've read before and thought about Joseph as an adoptive father to Jesus.  I actually think Catherine Hardwicke's film Nativity Story does a lovely job of treating Joseph's experience of choosing to adopt Jesus.  But I had never thought of it from this perspective:  God chose adoption for Jesus. It makes me think that maybe God/dess does choose adoption for some souls, though I have resisted that idea in the past.  I find reassurance in the idea that there are myths that tell our story as an adoptive family.


2 comments:

  1. I watched the Nativity Story movie this holiday season and really, really liked it. I think it did a beautiful job of showing Mary as a scared girl moving forward with the path God had chosen for her, and Joseph dealing with the anger and frustration of his plans being ripped apart. I thought it was beautiful to watch, and very well done. A new holiday season tradition, perhaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I can envision using it to tell the Christmas story in our house - when E is a little older, of course.

    ReplyDelete