Today, I listened to the podcast of "Sacred Wilderness" on Krista Tippett's Speaking of Faith. The interview was fascinating, especially since I had recently been pondering the spiritual meaning of wilderness. (Though there are many more thoughts to have on that subject, especially from a pagan perspective.)
One phrase just zapped me: "having faith in being lost."
In the last year, I have struggled with trying to find my career path. Just yesterday, a friend of mine was describing her feelings of being aimless amidst a welter of interests.
Both of us have made a pact to be Shiva Nata buddies, and the whole point of the practice is to get seriously lost. By regularly pushing yourself beyond your normal body-mind comfort zone, you blaze new neural connections - then you start seeing and thinking things differently.
So now, on a daily basis, lost is what I seek out, just as a journey through the wilds is what our souls sometimes need in order to find the paths ahead.
Whether I am lost because I am surrounded by darkness with no discernible path or lost because there are a dozen paths going before me in every direction, I need to rest on this deeply comforting idea of "having faith in being lost."
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment