Friday, June 19, 2009

Little gods

In the last few years, one of the most fascinating and controversial ideas in neuropsychology has been the concept that it is a part of the human brain that creates the experience of God. At least one crackpot on the internet has taken this a step further and proposed that this part of the brain is shaped by early life experiences, i.e. parenting.

The feeling of being intensely mothered - as I experienced with the Goddess - could easily reflect my early life experiences. My mother devoted herself to me. She didn't work, so I was with her all the time. She breastfed me until I was two-and-a-half (darn sister coming along!). Of course, in time, I grew up and away from her, but she continued to love me more than anyone else loved me until the day she died.

As a mother, I've come to understand that devotion from the other side. I love every single hair on Baby E's head, and I can easily imagine him being my favorite person as he grows. Now, I can also see how this experience of the Divine Child could be a reflection of my infancy.

My mother was a very spiritual person. She first explored Quakerism in high school, then dedicated herself to Krishna at age 21. But she said that her interest in religion declined when she had me. I became her center. This was encouraged by the Indian culture around her, which she told me treated children under age six as little gods. Obviously, this was reinforced by the stories of Krishna as a child, doted on by his mother.

So here I am, 38 years later, awed by the universal life force that I see channeling through my child. It's as if I'm reliving my mother's experience...or my experience.

Whether it is neurons or harmonic fields or karma, I'm kind of astonished by the connections between my God Experiences and my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment