Monday, June 29, 2009

Everyday day

Yesterday was a perfect example of why it's so hard for me to get to church. On Saturday, we decided to go to a cultural festival, exactly the kind of thing it's important for a multicultural family like ours to attend. It was fun, located in a big city, and celebrated both of Baby E's backgrounds.

But that meant that when Sunday morning dawned bright and early, I had a long list of things to get done before the end of the day. All that I usually have the whole weekend to complete - and no time to do during the week.

I had the best intentions - I was up, showered, dressed for church - but it came time for church, and I couldn't see any way to fit it all into a single day. So it was a mundane day. Without spiritual inspiration. But it was lovely and rejuvenating nonetheless. There is joy in reading the same book to your child over and over again, and there is peace in a clean sink.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. I keep meaning to check out the Friends church down the street but a day to sleep in and do chores and go for a hike and do all the other things I love doing is a rare treat. I could really get into a Wednesday night church or something like that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why paganism is so awesome, because "church" usually meets at night, isn't regularly every week, and is generally flexible.

    ReplyDelete